THE new STORYTELLER'S ART
I'm thrilled to present you with The new Storyteller's Art class! All of the original lessons are here and I've added loads more helpful tips, lessons and worksheets. I want to help you quickly learn how to create wonderful storytelling art of your own
The Classroom Is Open
Lifetime access. Work at your own pace.
Once registered you will receive a welcome email with log-in information, passwords and an invitation to the Facebook group.
**All students who paid on Ivy Newport's site are welcome to join the classroom FREE. You need to use the form at the bottom of the page in order to receive your new password.
**Videos can be downloaded
HELLO AND WELCOME
I would love to have you join me on a journey into the magical realm of storytelling and art! This unique mixed media class will focus on developing your storytelling voice so that you can create art that is compelling and rich with imagination.
THIS CLASS IS FOR EVERYONE
We all have untold stories within us. The Storyteller's Art class is all about what happens when our natural gift for storytelling is brought to the forefront of our artistic process. It is for anyone who has ever felt the slightest urge to give voice to memories, imagination and dreams. Blending art with story is a powerful tool for opening our hearts and minds. If we are quiet and listen carefully we can all hear our own guiding voice urging us to be brave, have courage and experience joy!
Let me show you some of the wonderful things we will be doing in class!
BELOW YOU WILL FIND A DESCRIPTION OF EACH OF OUR SPECIAL PROJECTS
***In preparation for our three main projects we will first do several studies and exercises to help open up your storyteller’s heart and mind. We will explore the elements of good storytelling and how you can use that structure to express what is within your hearts. Our goal will be to establish a personal storytelling language that you can draw from as you create new work. Once you have learned to trust your own voice and have allowed that creative force to surface you will be able to direct it within your art.
*NEW LESSON - CREATING AN ALTERED BOOK
There is nothing more inspiring than to have a beautiful handmade book for recording the unique experience you will have in this class. Imagine creating an altered vintage book of your own, then filling it with your inspired ideas, dreams, quotes, phrases, words and artwork. A personal resource full of inspiration! It can be as simple or as complex as you would like it to be. I will demonstrate the creation of an altered vintage book using a simple method I used for creating my own treasured book.
PROJECT 1 - STORYTELLER'S CARDS
You will create a large watercolor painting using marks, patterns and colors that resonate with you. Once it is dry you will cut it into a beautiful deck of Storytelling cards. The backs of these cards are where you will record your storytelling language of words, themes, symbols and other visual prompts that will guide you in creating your Storyboards in the next project. Your expressive voice already exists! All you need to do is bring it out and record it. *As a bonus lesson I will show you how to create a beautiful container to hold your cards and their treasure trove of ideas.
In this project you will create a unified series of three or more small illustrative paintings. You will learn a variety of techniques to connect the canvases visually and conceptually. We will use collage, acrylic paint, a simple color palette, and glazing. The Storytelling cards will be used in developing your ideas for these paintings. So much fun!
PROJECT 3 - CHARACTER STUDY
This a where things get even more interesting. You will create a mixed media portrait that brings one of your characters to life! You will select the person from your Storyboards that you want to get to know better and introduce to your audience. You will be using your storytelling skills for establishing history, personality and a storyline for this person who has entered the spotlight and center stage! This portrait is not intended to be realistic or drawn to perfection. This is expressive art that can be done with simple tools and limited drawing experience. You can make it as simple or complex as you like!
$57.00 WITH LIFETIME ACCESS
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN THIS CLASS?
I WILL BE GUIDING YOU THROUGH SEVERAL TOPICS AND TECHNIQUES SUCH AS:
- The components of a good story. Characters, setting, conflict, resolution etc.
- How many ways can you tell a story? What's your style? Theatrics, fairy tales, personal narrative, fables.
- How do you recognize your own storytelling voice? The secret language of memory, imagination, fantasy and dreams.
- The synergy of seamlessly blending your stories with your art. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts!
- The storyteller's toolbox. My tips and techniques for creating great stories that are short, simple and relatable. Less is always more here!
- Techniques such as collage, glazing, composition, creating a themed series, acrylic painting, watercolor washes, sketching, basic story writing techniques and much much more!
What kind of supplies do I need for this workshop?
Feel free to use what you have. It is not my intention to have you purchase everything on the list. Buy only what you think you will use. Substitution will only make things more interesting so don't be afraid to experiment. Below you will find the essential materials highlighted with an asterisk. * The remainder are supplies I use in the class but are not essential.
- 3-5 8X10 Canvas Panels *
- A used hard bound book for creating your altered book * (I suggest you watch the lesson in order to get an idea of what you need. Whatever you choose is a personal choice. Everyone will choose something different!)
- White Gesso * To cover your altered book pages.
- Notebook,* journal, or your altered book. The purpose is for you to use it for class. For example you may want to take notes about the class, do writing exercises, record dreams, symbols, memories and ideas. You may find you want more than one book. A note taking kind of book and a art journal type of book. You most definitely will use the altered book you make in class to paint and draw
- Assorted acrylic or craft paints *
Manganese Blue, Yellow Ochre, Titan Buff & Van dyke brown (These are the paint colors I used for the Storyboards project but feel free to choose your own color palette if you would prefer something else.)
- 140lb hot or cold press watercolor paper, 1 large sheet 22x30 or similar. Or several smaller sheets* (This is for your storytelling cards so use whatever you would like. I did mine with watercolor paper)
- Matte Medium *or other collage glue like a glue stick.
- Assorted brushes *
- Collage materials - assorted vintage papers/book pages, scrapbook paper, magazine images etc*
- Carbon paper or transfer paper
- Tracing paper
- Micron Pen 005 Black
- Golden Acrylic Satin Glazing Fluid *
- Dip Pen .
- Waterproof ink for your dip pen .
- Walnut ink .